Four Missing Italian Divers Found Dead in Maldives Cave Diving Tragedy

The Maldives military said four of the victims were affiliated with a team from the University of Genoa, while the fifth diver was identified as an Italian diving instructor.

MARITIMEPOSTS.COM – The bodies of four missing Italian scuba divers were located on Monday following a tragic underwater cave diving accident in the Maldives that claimed the lives of all five members of the expedition.

The discovery was made by a specialist recovery team led by Finnish cave divers during what officials described as a technically demanding and emotionally challenging operation beneath the waters of the Vavu Atoll.

According to the diving safety organization Dan Europe, the team not only succeeded in locating the victims but also gathered critical information needed to plan the recovery of the bodies from the underwater cave system.

Read More

The first victim had been found on Friday during search operations coordinated under the supervision of Maldivian President Mohamed Muizzu.

The five Italians had reportedly entered the cave system on Thursday during a deep technical dive reaching approximately 165 feet underwater, according to Italy’s foreign ministry. Local media reports stated that the crew of the dive vessel raised the alarm after the divers failed to resurface.

Authorities described the incident as one of the most serious diving tragedies ever recorded in the Maldives.

“This is the biggest tragedy of this type in the Maldives,” Chief Presidential Spokesperson Mohamed Hussein Sharif said while confirming that investigators are examining the procedures and preparations carried out before the dive.

Officials emphasized that the victims were experienced divers familiar with the Maldives and had previously conducted both recreational and technical dives in the country.

“This was a technical diving incident,” Sharif explained, noting that the Maldives normally restricts recreational diving activities to depths of less than 100 feet underwater.

The first recovered body was discovered inside a cave structure approximately 200 feet deep, highlighting the extreme conditions faced by rescuers and recovery teams.

The Maldives military said four of the victims were affiliated with a team from the University of Genoa, while the fifth diver was identified as an Italian diving instructor.

The tragedy also claimed the life of a Maldivian military diver who died from decompression illness during the recovery efforts. Rescue operations had reportedly been complicated by poor weather conditions on Saturday.

The incident has drawn international attention to the risks associated with technical cave diving, particularly in deep underwater environments where visibility, confined spaces, and decompression challenges can quickly become life-threatening even for highly trained divers.

Authorities in the Maldives continue investigating the circumstances surrounding the fatal expedition.

Source:

Editorial Team